Every January, people have an opportunity to make positive changes in their life. There’s just something about the new year that gives people the fresh start they need for self-improvement! Some of the most common resolutions are to save more money or get into shape. But, if you’d like to do something different this year, why not shift the focus to your smile instead? Scheduling a checkup with a dentist in Canton is a great start towards improving your oral health and having a beautiful smile that adds to your self-confidence. Keep reading to learn about the importance of regular dental care as well as several cosmetic procedures that can transform your smile faster and easier than you might expect!
What’s Included In a Checkup?
The purpose of a checkup is to monitor every aspect of your oral health, not just whether you have cavities or not. These visits include all of the following:
- A medical history review and blood pressure screening
- X-rays (annually or as needed) so that any problems can be found as early as possible before you even feel pain
- An oral cancer screening
- Annual gum evaluation
- Professional cleaning and polish
- Fluoride treatments for cavity prevention (for all children and some adults)
- Oral hygiene tips
- Dietary counseling as needed
- A dental exam to make sure there are no new treatment needs and that existing dental work still functions well
How Do Regular Checkups Prevent Problems?
As far as your oral health goes, prevention is the name of the game. Regular checkups help prevent a multitude of problems that can cause major problems down the road:
- Major dental work – Cavities and other issues are much easier and less expensive to treat when they’re found early at a routine checkup.
- Gum disease – Gum disease is the #1 cause of tooth loss and has also been found to increase the risk for many serious conditions such as heart disease, stroke, Alzheimer’s, and some cancers.
- Emergencies – With regular care, there’s much less chance of an undiagnosed problem turning into an emergency situation on vacation or in the middle of the night.
What Popular Cosmetic Procedures Can Enhance Your Smile?
In addition to having a healthy smile, here are just some of the ways you can have a beautiful one as well:
- Porcelain veneers or Lumineers
- Gum recontouring
- Cosmetic bonding and tooth-colored fillings
And, if you find a cosmetic dentist in Canton who offers digital imaging, you’ll even be able to see what your smile will look like before you begin your smile makeover.
Investing in the health and appearance of your smile in 2019 will pay off for a lifetime. And since the year just began, it’s the perfect time to start!
About the Author
Dr. J.D. Robison is a general, restorative, and cosmetic dentist in Canton who wants his patients to have great oral health and a beautiful smile their entire life. He and his staff combine the latest dental technology with old-fashioned personal care to help patients of all ages achieve that goal. If you have any other questions, he can be contacted through his website or at (734) 453-6320.